Sunday 14 September 2008

Improve on my speaking

My parents are able to speak good English. There was many occasions that my father received honourable compliments from native speakers of English. I guess, there must be some kind of genetic inheritance that makes me end up in UM as a TESLian.

So, out of the blue, I took up some of my time this morning to read through Psychology Chapter 4 about Individual Variation (it talks mainly about IQ). It stated that regardless how high that person's IQ is, if he took his IQ for granted, most likely he will not improve. We should seize whatever opportunities accessible to us in order to improve. That's so so TRUE!!!

It just gave me a revelation.

A child with good genes needs to be nurtured.

From now on, I will:
1) Read aloud in English for 20 to 30 minutes to develop strong mouth muscles so that I wouldn't mispronounce on any words when I am speaking too fast.

2) Commit myself to learn 2 new words each day to improve on my vocabulary.

3) Read newspaper at least twice a week so that I know what's happening around me and I will have more topics to share with others. This will indirectly improve on my interpersonal skills.

4) Listen to only English songs and watch only English movies.

5) Speak only English with my coursemates. Don't let them intimidate me with their fluent way of speaking.

2 comments:

Elise's randomeness said...

Wow, for someone trying to improve your english you write it very well.

Natalie Tan Li Chin a.k.a SmoothTan said...

yeah...i can write well but sumtimes i feel inferior around those ppl who really speak well:)