Saturday 9 June 2007

The Greatest of All Treasures






To-morrow, and tomorrow and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more; it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing.
Life's Brief Candle is an extract from the Shakespearean play called Macbeth. In that play, Macbeth who is the new King of Scotland is getting ready for a battle with the English and Scottish soldiers was informed of his Queen's death. He feels sad and devastated because his Queen is no longer there to support him through his good times and bad times...He can no longer shares his glory with her. He sees his future as meaningless and that's where he compares his life to a candle - a symbol of the temporary nature of life which is brief.
All the world's a stage and all the men and women are merely players. They have their exits and their entrances and one man in his lifetime plays many parts and some of it includes dealing with loss just like Macbeth.
I used to believe that inherent with the word loss was the implication that what is lost can be found. For instance, a gambler losses his bet in a game and recovers back his vast fortune in his next game, a boy cries over the loss of his lollipop when his friend snatched it from him then shouts with laughter when his mother bought another 3 for him.
Last October I lost another much more beautiful treasure...he's my father. He's the one that gave life to me (by contributing a sperm), help me to go through puberty, tolerated with me rebellious nature, colour my life with love and his never-ending lectures. He's the fiery gem among the colourless stones that've made up my world. Unfortunately, he lost his battle to his renal disease :( "sob...sob"
He left behind his precious yellow Ford Courier to me. His car has been like a father figure to me. It really breaks my heart when I got to let go of the car. The car and I have been through lots of good times and bad times. It was him who lent me a stering (is da word right??) when i needed a good cry to cope with my father's illness. It was him who transported my father to do his AV Fistula. Such a good car:) He has been my pillar of strength all this while. I cried like a kid on 6th June when i gave da car keys to da 2nd hand car dealer. It's like me betraying the car and the betrayal is so profound :(
My father is right. Life is not always a smooth sail and we shouldn't let our emotions get the better of us. We might not able to change how things might end but we can change on how we think bout it. There are many treasures is this world...we might as well cherish them now.

No comments: